Friday, August 10, 2007

Pokeweed



I know I have had these plants in my yard since I moved in, but I never know what they are. Until I read the book "Weeds, Friend or Foe" by Sally Roth, then I found out they are pokeweed. They are really hard to get rid of once established (well, mine are almost 6 feet tall so I guess they are not going anywhere). Pokeweed is poisonous and can cause potentially lethal result if handled wrong, but birds love their berries and I actually think they look quite interesting. If you have pokeweed in your yard and want to know more about it, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center's website has more detailed information. Some parts of the pokeweed are edible and the berry juice can be used as a dye, but you really have to know which part to use and how to prepare it correctly, otherwise you are risking your own life. For me that's just not worth it. I will leave them alone and let the birdies enjoy them.

No comments: