Sunday, August 26, 2007

Big Scores


I can't believe my good luck today!!!

Don't be jealous... I scored Mary Blair's long out-of-print book "Baby's House" at the River Market antique mall this afternoon... for ONLY 4 DOLLARS! The booth where I found the book is in the basement which I usually don't check out because, first, I rarely find anything interesting there, and second, there is this giant sewage pipe down there which I hate. And even if I do check it out, I never really explore this specific vendor. But today I happened to go inside the booth, flipped through layers of old smelly books on the shelf and then I saw it... I couldn't believe my eye! I love when thing like this happen!

Here are some amazing images which I got from the ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive website. If you are also a Mary Blair fan and really want your own copy of Baby's House, there are still 2 of them left on Amazon and also there is currently one auction for it on eBay for $85. Or you can always try to find it in your local antique shops... you might just get lucky too!










Another book that I got from the same vendor today is the vintage black-and-white version of "The Little Old Man Who Could Not Read" illustrated by Seymour Fleishman... for 2 bucks! I absolutely love the linework illustrations as well as the shape and the facial expressions of the main character. The story is so funny and charming, and it makes me laugh! It's is out of print too but Amazon currently has 8 hardcover copies and 3 paperback copies of it... with a collector's price tag of course.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hu !
nice treasure !

Aspa said...

You are so lucky!!! I am collecting little golden books and I really like Mary Blair's work. Unfortunately I haven't gotten one yet. I will see if there are still available in Amazon. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Oh these are beautifully illustrated books. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy Isabelle Labrie said...

funny, I got this "baby's house" book two years ago for 25¢¡...and I kept it for myself!